Changes in the healthcare system, government programs and employer plans are impacting us all. As a result, your employees or members, regardless of age or career stage, may be asking you more questions than you can answer.
One way you can help your employees with financial education resources is by offering RetireU*. The RetireU* workshop series offers you a comprehensive financial education program that can complement and incorporate your existing benefit offerings while providing your employees with the information they need to achieve their financial goals. And it’s at no cost to you or your employees.
You can expect:
- Objective information on a wide range of topics to meet employees diverse needs
- Expert delivery by a local specially trained financial professional
- Comprehensive training materials for every attendee to keep and use for future reference
RetireU Workshop Series
The RetireU Series is a 4-part workshop series. Complete all 4 workshops and then continue on to additional topical workshops.
Why are we all here?
- Changes in the healthcare system, government programs and employer plans have already been impacting the largest pre-retirement population in history.
- Education is your employees’ greatest tool to help assist them in pursuing their retirement and financial goals.
A comprehensive retirement education approach
- Personal retirement aspirations
- Income planning
- Financial and healthcare considerations
- Integration with existing employee benefits
In Session 1, employees will start to envision their retirement and how they will finance it based on current and future retirement trends. We will cover financial basics and budgeting for retirement. Employees will start to see how what they have will contribute to the retirement they want.
- Employees begin by defining their own vision of retirement. This will set the stage on understanding how to create and maintain a financial strategy.
- Using Your Money More Wisely
- Review the basic money principles and their relevance in retirement:
- Paying yourself first
- Creating a budget
- Power of compounding
- Considerations for tax diversification
- Tax advantaged investing
- 401(k) & Traditional IRA
- 403(b) & Roth IRA
- Understanding the impact of inflation
- Budgeting for Today (and Tomorrow)
Create a personalized budget:
- Estimating expenses today
- Using today’s income and expenses to estimate retirement cash flow needs
- Completing workbook exercises to solidify concepts learned
In Session 2, we introduce the principles of investing and the various investment vehicles available to employees will learn about the general rules to building and managing wealth.
- Investment Pyramid
- Key features and risks of each asset class:
- Cash equivalents
- Alternative Investments
- Mutual Funds
- Investment Strategies for Accumulating Wealth
- Asset classes and allocation
- Risk tolerance
- Portfolio rebalancing
- Investment Guiding Principles
- Time in the market
- Dollar cost averaging
- Fundamentals of managing risk
- Understanding the Risks You Need to Manage
- Unexpected expenses
- Developing a Spending Plan for Retirement
- Estimating current expenses
- Projecting expenses in retirement
In Session 3, employees will learn how to structure a retirement income stream to address their retirement wants and needs. We will examine the risks that can impact retirement funds and how to manage assets to help provide lifelong income.
- Shifting Focus from Accumulation to Distribution
- What are some of the risks a portfolio could be exposed to in retirement?
- Withdrawal rate
- Market timing
- Unexpected expenses
- The Retirement Income Planning Process
- What are the key elements of the retirement income planning process?
- Look at the big picture and determine retirement goals
- Identify expenses in retirement
- Identify guaranteed sources of retirement income
- Social Security
- Employer-sponsored defined benefit plans
- Identify other sources of retirement income
- Employer-sponsored defined contribution plans
- Earned income
- Unearned income
- Personal savings
- Alternative sources
- How to Manage Retirement Assets and Help Provide a Lifelong Income
- Matching retirement ‘essentials’ with dependable income sources
- Matching retirement ‘extras’ with other income sources
- Protecting against unplanned expenses
In Session 4, we will review your employee benefits, together with other benefits, to help clarify how they fit into your employees’ retirement plans. We will also cover the basics of estate planning, including wills and trusts.
- Your Employer’s Benefit Plans
Do your employees know what is included in their benefits plan?
- Legal or other services
- What benefits continue after retirement
- Protecting Against Unexpected Expenses
- What do government programs provide for retirees and what is not covered?
- Medicare basics
- Long term care
- Estate Planning Basics
- The basics of trusts, including Special Needs
- Healthcare directive
- Power of attorney
What have your employees learned?
- Put it all together
- Understand how the benefits package you offer fits into their own plan
- Know how to work with what they already have in any stage of financial planning
- Know the resources available if they are feeling overwhelmed